Monday, January 26, 2015

Preschool & IVF Update!

I know I’ve said this many times but it warrants mentioning again. We LOVE, love Gracie’s Co-op Preschool! Getting her a spot in the class was pure luck and I’m more happy with her little escuela every month. :) In this first school year, G and I have become those super involved parents (no shocker there, lol). We volunteer in the classroom at least once a month, sometimes together, and in the 6 months that Grace has been in school, we’ve been there with bells on for every single field trip. The other parents are so warm and friendly too. The bean has already been invited to 3 birthday parties from her school buds and with the pre-k committees that G and I have joined, we’ve made lots of new parent friends as well.

My favorite thing about the school is that it celebrates families. ALL families! A few weeks ago, I was volunteering in class and doing a little cleaning while the kids gathered for music circle. The song they were listening to and singing was called, “Love Makes a Family”. The song’s lyrics talk all about how some families are big and some small. That some kids have parents who are divorced, some live with grandparents and, well you get the idea. As I was cleaning and listening to the kiddos sing along to the song, a verse started about a little girl named Sophia who has two mommies. The verse talked about how her family is special and that it’s never ok to tease your friends just because their family looks different than your family. I couldn’t believe it! As I was listening to the start of the song describing different kinds of families, I was thinking, I can’t wait for the day that LGBT families are included in songs like these… And then the Sophia verse started! It warmed my heart so very much and made me a bit teary-eyed. I blame the fertility drugs (like always), but I’m pretty sure that I would have gotten choked up even if I didn’t have hormones ragging through my body. To see all the little ones singing the verse about Sophia and her moms together, and to know that my baby girl is learning and thriving in an environment that is so supportive of her family, well there’s just nothing more that we could ask for.

Sending Grace to school, and essentially out into the world for the first time this school year, made Georgia and I a bit nervous (me more so than G). I was honestly worried more about the parents than the kids, because I know parents can at times be close-minded a-holes. I worried that Grace would get teased. I worried that we would be treated different than other parents or that our family wouldn’t be viewed as a family equal to everyone else. Thankfully, I couldn’t have been more wrong. I know that there’s a high likelihood that we will be faced with a scenario like this at some point in Gracie’s young school years, but not today. Not this school year and that makes me very happy.

This past Monday we went on what was without a doubt my favorite field trip of the school year thus far! Me, G and some fellow parents, joined the kiddos in spending the afternoon at the local Children’s Science Center and Museum. Our group was left to explore the grounds and watch our kiddos learn all about science for the first time.

During the fieldtrip we learned about the life of water, studying its characteristics, patterns and flow!


The kiddos investigated light, shadow and the transfer of color!


And experienced the transactive qualities of air! Grace even got to “fly” a plane, with the help of Mommy before sharing the snacks she brought for her classmates!


We all had so much fun and learned a lot! I can’t wait until our next museum visit!


…And in other baby-making news, this arrived week before last!


I was so nervous the day it was delivered that I talked G into leaving work early to intercept the goods. All I could think of were the news articles I watched over Christmas about thieves stealing deliveries off people’s doorsteps and I was convinced that some crazed lunatic would surly steal our baby-making medicine… So my lovely wife was there to bring the meds in and go through them. She even sent me the picture pasted above because she was just as excited as me that they finally arrived!


I’m currently on day 18 of birth control and G’s been giving me shots of Lupron nightly for 8 days now. The shots don’t really hurt but these are also the ones that just go in my leg. I’ve had way more “side effects” from the birth control and the fact that I haven’t had coffee, wine or caffeine of any kind for weeks, lol. I’m a BIG coffee drinker and as someone who normally drank several cups of Star.bucks dark roast every morning, it’s been an adjustment. I had a horrible headache for the first week and thought it was the BC but soon realized that I was suffering from caffeine withdrawals. I sent G the pic above a few days ago after my face finally started to clear up from my first break out. I think I did a pretty good job covering up my zits but still I thought the picture was funny. It’s amazing how quickly the birth control wrecked my face and threw off my sleeping pattern. I don’t know how all you straight girls take this stuff for years at a time! ;)

Aside from that, I have a few questions for my fellow IVF mamas. Did any of you spot while you were on the birth control/Lupron combo? I called my nurse last week when I noticed some pink when wiping and they told me it was totally normal but today it seemed to be a bit more. I know that some people get cysts during this phase of the process and I’m just praying that isn’t happening because it would mean we would need to start all over. Even after TTC for a year and taking fertility drugs the entire time, I’ve never had a cyst so I’m praying it doesn’t happen now. Did any of you experience anything like this?

Also, when it came time for transfer, how many did you transfer? I know the number really just depends on egg quality but I’m still curious what others have done and what the outcome was. Thanks so much in advance for sharing!

That pretty much sums up what’s been going on around here. Sorry for the super long scattered post, haha! I’ll leave you with this picture taken of Georgia and two fellow moms from Gracie’s class at a recent “Best of the City” event. The Bean’s pre-school was voted “Best Parent Cooperative Preschool” in the city last month, so we of course had to celebrate with all the other “best of the city” peeps! Isn’t my wife just gorgeous?! I’m a lucky gal.



20 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your IVF journey!! We only transfered one grade A blast. I wanted to transfer 2 but my wife did not want twins. Honestly, I'm glad we only did the one. I know I am not a mom who could handle multiples. So, I really think the number you transfer is up to you and wife and how your little family would handle if 2 or more came into the world.

    Thank you for sharing your journey!!! Lots of good baby vibes are being sent your way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Shanna! My wife feels very much the same way. She has said that the only way she would want to transfer more than one is if the quality wasn't top notch. We'll see I guess.

      Delete
  2. Yay for a great school! I'm going to have to listen to that song! I worry about what our boys will face too-this warmed my heart. Yay for drugs! We worried over how many to go with too-put in what you are prepared to have. Have you thought of going from a family of three to five? We put in two because the doc was insistant that we would prob have one. We had twins lol. Next time(maybe) we will only do one egg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several sets of twins in my family so the thought of having twins has always sounded exciting to me. As I've gotten older and learned of the higher risk I've been less excited about the possibility. Did you carry full term or close to? For me, an early delivery is my biggest fear...

      Delete
  3. I didn't do the lupron injections. Idk why, it just never came up? Maybe because they already knew I was capable of producing massive amounts of follicles/eggs from previous cycles? Anyways, I don't recall spotting until the progesterone suppositories.
    Our first cycle we transferred 2 "A" 5 day blasts, we ended up with twins but I miscarried. For our FET they thawed the worst 2 embryos first in case they didn't survive the thaw, then they would have better to thaw next. We froze our "C's" even though they didn't recommend it, well they did survive the thaw & those 2 "bad eggs" are where we got our perfect trio :) (odds are less than 1 percent for eggs splitting)
    We were ok with the idea of twins, so we were fine transferring 2, of course we never considered or thought we'd end up with more than 2, lol...
    Our doc wouldn't transfer more than 2, but I have a friend whose doc in NY transferred her last 5 (also her last attempt of many) & she had ONE beautiful baby girl 6 months younger than our boys.
    As a fellow PCOS mom (& blogland friend) I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!
    I can't wait til you post the good news 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Spring! Those were some unlikely chances that you would end up with three. Clearly it was meant to be. :)

      Delete
  4. That school sounds so wonderful. I'm happy you've had such an incredible experience. :) So far I haven't really experienced much bigotry but every time one of the kids sends out birthday invitations, I always think, do the parents know we're gay? Will that ever be an issue for them? I just can't help but wonder when we'll experience that.

    Good luck with IVF!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully neither of us will! Thanks Stacey!

      Delete
  5. Such an exciting journey; I'm enjoying keeping up with it! I wish you and your family the best of luck. We transferred two and had gorgeous fraternal twin boys three month ago. I think we will be transferring two next time, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just visited your blog for the first time and LOVE all your pictures! What a beautiful family you have. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. :)

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't be so sure that your kids will ever be teased or feel different because of their families. Our boys are now 19 and 21, so we had them when it was way less common or even heard of for lesbian couples to have kids. We live in a small town out in the country that is largely republican and conservative, so we are in the minority in many ways. We and our kids have never had a single instance of being made to feel left out or discriminated against in our community or schools. in fact I believe we were the cause of many people becoming more open minded just by virtue of the fact that we were always open and matter of fact about our family so the kids were that way as well. Try not to be too worried about the future. Things are so much better than they were in the past anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so great to hear! I always love hearing for fellow mamas who have raised up their kiddos and have some personal experience (especially when they're good experiences). I'm going to take your advice and try not to worry about it for now and hope I never have too. :)

      Delete
  7. Birth control pills were the worst part of IVF for me. I didn't use lupron so don't have any experience with that.
    We transferred 2 embryos and ended up with our b/g twins. Only transfer more than one if you are ready for multiples.
    Wishing you lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm noticing a trend here... Transfer two, get two. Who would have thought, lol! A part of me feels like transferring two increases my chances of getting at least one, while another part of me seriously questions whether my body could handle it if I ended up carrying two little beans. Such tough choices...

      Delete
  8. Well yay !
    Lupron shots....NO PROBLEM. Those big huge progesterone shots are the BITCHES ! Seriously. I remember cringing moments when J would try and find a spot on my hips that didn't have a huge bruise to stick the needle. (not to scare you :-) ) ha ha
    I can't remember if I spotted. I would think that I did because I swear I am such a bleeder...but I honestly can't remember.
    I transfered 2. both times. I have often said and will say it until I die. IT ONLY TAKES 1 !!! I know so many people who want instant families and think twins are fun and love hearing the stories and how fun and how great and it's like joining a twin club. I can tell you the SWEETEST and CUTEST stories about my boys. but I can also share stories that would straighten your pubic hair.
    Your doctor will probably suggest 2. I guess it depends on the quality of your embryos. I think you just put in the number of embryos that you are expecting to = kids in the end. Unless of course the little bastards split :-) ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seriously crack me up woman! Little bastards, hahahaha!

      Delete
  9. That all sounded so negative. I forgot to add. I'm SO EXCITED for your cute family. I can't WAIT to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that you always keep it real. Please never stop doing that!

      Delete
  10. I am laughing so hard at the straighten your pubic hair comment from KJ!!! Oh wow, funny stuff!

    I am sooooooooooo excited to see all those beautiful meds!!! Among friends that have done IVF, the going consensus seems to be to put in however many you want to get out. I think everyone that put in two, ended up with twins. A couple were surprised that they did and I am not sure how, as they did put in two embryos. Similarly, those that put in one usually got one in return. One friend, put in one and lost it, put in another and lost it, put in two and had twins. The doctor said, if a pregnancy is going to take, it is going to take, no matter how many you put in. That said, we have another friend who put in two, after years of failed pregnancies and it was essentially a hail mary of putting in the only two embies that they had left and both took and one split. Yes, they ended up with triplets. So, as KJ said above, the bastards can split!!!

    I think it is great that Gracie's school is so welcoming. Can you by any chance find out that name of that song? Would love to pass it on to Little Monster's school :) I think we all hope that our kids will never be teased or treated differently because of who their parents are. But, yes, I know it happens. I too worry every time we are in a new situation or party invitations go out and so on. All we can do is raise them with a bit of resiliency and hope for the best!

    Now, clear up that acne, beautiful, you and G have valentines coming up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We transferred 1. I was already in the transfer room, when the embryologist showed us two perfect embryos he was planning to transfer. I was like: Hell to the no! We only want 1! So I had to sign a bunch of papers, confirming that this is my choice and I'm glad we did, because it worked. If we didn't have that Insurance program (attain), we probably would've transferred 2, because we wouldn't have been able to afford another round of IVF.
    I'm not sure what we'll do for the next round. I want three children, Katie only two, so I think we should transfer two, just in case…LOL.
    So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...