Tuesday, March 10, 2015

{Gracie’s 3rd Birthday Party!}

So guess what? We have a 3 year old! A THREE year old! Every year my birthday posts for our stinker start the same. They all sound a little like this, "she’s another year older and I can’t believe it!" The thing is, I really can’t. I was told that time would fly once I was a mom. I was told it so often that it was actually kind of annoying, to be honest. Yet now that I am a mama and I’m living the mama life, I understand what everyone was talking about. It’s like one day you have this little potato looking baby who spends all of their time eating sleeping and pooping, and then in the blink of an eye they’re potty trained, in school and speaking in complete sentences and it really does feel like it happens over night. It's crazy!

This birthday was exciting for us because this was the first year that Gracie really got it. She knows what month she’s born in, so she’s been counting down the days for weeks now and actually gave us input on what she wanted for her birthday party. Like always, it was all about The Little Mermaid, which worked out perfectly because we had the Bean’s birthday party at our local Aquatic Center. Now that the party has come and gone, I’m in love with that place and I want to have all her birthday parties there until she’s a teen! It was a pretty fantastic location.


Our number one goal this year was to keep our party plans simple. I had no intention of spending weeks making handmade decorations, or picture collages, or any other over the top party projects. We also didn’t want to spend the days leading up to our gal’s birthday in the kitchen cooking for our giant family. IVF has taken over our lives for the past two months and along with the BIG birthday surprise we’ve been working on since December for Grace, an easy breezy birthday party was a must and that’s exactly what we got. We did of course make sure to throw in a few of our gal’s favorite menu items. The girl LOVES popcorn, cookies, fruit, salty snacks, pizza and CAKE! So we made sure we had all the food essentials covered. It was so adorable to watch her run from the pool to snag handfuls of goldfish and popcorn all afternoon.


We had one heck of a full house and everyone came ready to swim. Even most of the adults! The pool had slides for the bigger kiddos along with different water features that sprayed and dropped buckets of water on the little kids and Grace loved it. From the moment we arrived she was in the pool crawling around, walking to the deepest level she could reach and splashing all her guests. G and I took turns playing with her in the water and it was a challenge even to squeeze in that little bit of one on one time because all of her cousins wanted her too! The only times we were actually able to get her out of the water was once for a potty break and then for presents and cake. Other than that she was splashing around for hours, slowly turning into a toddler-sized raisin.  
   

I loved how laid back this birthday party was. We didn’t have an agenda other than to eat and play in the water. There was no need for jumpers or to keep anyone entertained because the entire place was a playground. My BF and her family were in town so Gracie’s little buddy Olivia came and the two of them were inseparable. By about an hour in, Gracie’s knees were as red as could be from scraping the bottom of the pool while she played and it didn’t even faze her. She was seriously having the time of her life.


I waited until a week before the party to begin looking into ordering a birthday cake (slacker, I know) and by the time I did, most places weren’t taking orders. We ended up looking into a bakery that we hadn’t even considered because we had heard they were pricey but it turned out that wasn’t true. G ordered the cake with the Little Mermaid figurines Grace requested and it came out amazing! Even better, it tasted amazing! The birthday girl ate two pieces and we got a ton of compliments. Isn’t it just the cutest? I loved all the seaweed and coral designs on the side and that some of the characters were hidden in the reef. It took every bit of restraint Grace could muster not to steal Little Mermaid from her cake. We had to keep a close eye on her, lol!


Our day ended with the opening of gifts and because I helped Grace open her gifts last year, this year it was G’s turn. Let’s just say she’s going to leave that job to me from now on, LOL! If you’ve ever opened gifts with a toddler and their friends, you know what a feeding frenzy it is in the pit of presents. You have kids grabbing presents from every direction. The birthday girl removing cards from their bags and tissue paper flying about. G was no match for these kids and she’s just happy she survived. In the end we really had no idea who brought what because cards got mixed up and gifts got shoved in the same bags but what matters is that our mermaid girl had a blast! With the gifts she loved the most she would jump up and hold them as high as she could to show everyone with the biggest smile on her face. It made me so happy to watch the chaos unfold. Sorry babe, haha!


The BIGGEST surprise of the day was Gracie’s birthday gift from her mamas… We’re taking our birthday girl to Disneyland! We leave in less than 3 weeks so the countdown is officially on! First stop is San Diego for 2 days for my mom’s wedding and the San Diego Zoo, then 3 days in Anaheim for Disneyland and California Adventure followed by 3 days in West Hollywood and the Beach! We can’t wait! Along with the big news we gave our birthday girl a Little Mermaid princess dress to wear on day one at the park along with some hot pink matching converse, Minnie Mouse ears, a few little gifts and an autograph book I made for her. I didn’t do the autograph book thing when I went to Disneyland as a kid but I knew from the moment we decided we were going to take Grace that I wanted to make her one. I can already picture her walking cautiously up to the Disney Princesses to get their autographs. I’m totally going to cry like a baby… I already know.

Here's a little video of my DIY creation ~ 



And that about wraps it up! Such a fun and busy weekend and what G and I both agree was her best birthday yet. Grace would agree too! After she opened her gifts we had her face the crowd to say thank you and she said (and I quote) "Thank you for coming to my party! Best birthday ever!" I swear we didn't coach her to say that and it just about melted our hearts. :)

We have so many exciting things coming in the next couple of weeks so stay tuned. I fully plan to write a proper "3 years of Gracie" post before the end of the month. I will write it! I will write it! I must!


10 comments:

  1. Such a cute party! Happy Birthday Gracie! Time sure does fly, I can't believe I'm already planning Fox's 1st birthday party! Eeeks! Can't wait to hear about your Disneyland trip, she'll have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nadine! Just wait... You'll be planning Fox's 3rd birthday before you know it! I can't wait to see what you have planned for his first birthday. I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Gracie!
    You are the best party planner ever! I need you to come here & plan ours, lol
    You are so right about one thing though, time does fly! Our boys will be FOUR next month & I just can't wrap my head around how that happened so fast. We are trying to keep it simple too with just family & maybe a couple new friends we've made here. The boys each picked their own theme though (3 different themes) so I'm trying to work out how to keep that simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet Spring, thanks! How is it even possible that the boys are going to be four?! I can't wait to see how you plan to pull off a 3 themed party! I'm sure it will be great. :)

      Delete
  3. The dingle hoppers are awesome. I love swimming parties.
    I did think that the party favors were of questionable sexual content at first glance. but leave it to me to go there. :-)
    I am looking forward to your 3 year update...but please don't leave us hanging with the transfer update ????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinglehoppers were my fav and only you would go there with the bubble wands, LOL! My transfer date is 3/24 so just 11 days to go. We do the transfer and then jump on a plane just days later. We'll end up having to test while on vacation so it will either make our vacation that much more awesome, or I'll be getting super drunk. I hope it works!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad Gracie and her mamas has a great birthday! I know Punky had a blast too, so three was definitely a great year for us too! I just love seeing your birthday posts, because it's fun to see how different AND similar the girls are - being literally 25 minutes apart in age. :P Here's to another great year with our girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a great day! I didn't know that the girls were just 25 minutes apart! Who is older? lol ;)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Gracie!!! I cannot believe another year is in the books. The party pictures are absolutely amazing and your little girl is too precious. I cannot wait to see pictures and hear stories about your trip to Disneyland!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! It's just crazy! Thank you so much for the sweet message. We are counting the days until Disneyland! Yippee :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...