Wednesday, May 13, 2015

:: Topanga Beach Day ::

I know I’ve said this before but I could say it all day. Gracie has the best uncles a girl could ask for. They are so involved in her life and do everything they can to stay in close contact with her, even though they live in sunny California. Dean and Chris aren’t your typical; I’ll see you a few times a year and call occasionally, kind of uncles. They’re the call and check-in often, let’s have Skype dates; I’ll send you funny videos and gifts for no reason, kind of uncles. They are always thinking of ways they can come out here or get us out to California so that they can see their niece as often as possible. The two of them do so much to make sure that even though they don’t see her every day, Grace knows just how much they LOVE her and how special she is to them. It makes me get all teary just thinking about it. :)


For our trip out to California, we met up with the boys on day 4 and it was just us for a day before G’s parents met up with us in Anaheim. In typical super uncle fashion, the fridge was stocked with snacks they thought the stinker would like and she had her very own “Let’s Make Art” book that they picked up just for her sitting on the desk with art supplies when we arrived. Our guys also planned a special beach day for the five of us, which we were sooooo excited about! As a family who lives in the desert, any opportunity to be around beautiful beaches and water is never taken for granted. The “Guncles” practically live at the beach, so we were set up with all the beach gear and yummy food we would need before we headed out!


It was a very chill day spent relaxing and noshing on yummy foods while soaking up the sun. This was Gracie’s 4th time visiting the ocean and she could not wait to get her feet in the water. Grace and G collected seashells, Grace played in the waves, we picnicked and took our gal’s 3rd birthday pictures, which made the day fly by.


I’m a water sign and a total water baby, so our day at the beach was a day that I needed, for lots of reasons. I don’t know how to explain the connection I have with water other than to say that it soothes me like nothing else. It really helps me to put things in perspective and clear my mind. This is one of the reasons I shower twice a day, every day and try my best to make sure we make it out to the lake, water parks, pools and rivers as often as possible. I’m sure there’s some biological explanation for how I feel. All I know is that it’s a force that I can’t and don’t wish to fight (even if my frequent showers drive my wife crazy sometimes). In my defense, all of our plants are desert plants and we don’t buy bottled water. We don’t have a pool, or grass and all of our appliances that use water, are energy efficient! See babe… I’m practically a water conservationist if you think about it! ;)  


Our beach day was the same day I found out that our first IVF cycle was unsuccessful. Looking back, I don’t think there’s a better place I could have been to receive news like that. Sure, when it all hit me days later, it was tough but it wasn’t devastating when I found out and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I felt at peace and happy. Thank God for Mother Nature.
   

I’ve noticed that the bigger Grace gets, the more she shows that she is a water baby too. For one, she’s a Pisces and I totally believe it that kind of stuff. She loves bath time and has since she was a newborn. She showered with us when she was tiny and would lie in my arms under the warm water until we both turned to raisins, just as happy as can be. She is currently obsessed with swim school and anytime we’re camping or at the lake, it’s her and I out playing in the water until dark. Typically we’re the first ones in and the last ones out. Like every other water adventure, the same was the case at Topanga Beach.



The kid was rolling in the sand, hounding for rocks, running non-stop along the beach (while screaming with joy) and playing in the waves. It made this Mama’s heart so happy to watch.


She even let me play with her sandy beach hair. Yeah, I couldn’t get my hair to look this good if I paid someone to do it…


Such a fun day in the sun.

Thanks brother bears! We can’t wait to come back and visit again!



10 comments:

  1. So fun! I love that her uncles are so involved in her life! The beach is my happy place as well, I'm glad you were surrounded by loved ones and beauty when you received your news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! I bet Fox is going to be a beach lover too. :)

      Delete
  2. You are truly blessed. I WISH that my kids had positive male role models. They do have a soccer coach that we adore. You know, he spends time with them that 1 hour a week...and he's coaching them. not loving on them, giving them the kind of attention they deserve and need.
    You really are very lucky to have such a fantastic family.
    Love the pictures that last one of her with the hat is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K. We do feel so blessed to have awesome dudes in our lives. I wouldn't be too discouraged that there's not a lot of strong male influences in your kiddos life yet. They are still so young! Most of the men that had the biggest influences on me were a few of my favorite teachers and a favorite coach. We all still keep in contact to this day! And I didn't connect with them until middle school and older. I feel really blessed that Grace has some pretty great uncles but I also know that genetics isn't the only thing that equals a strong connection. One of Gracie's favorite people in the world, "uncle Anthony", is our friend we met at work 8 years ago and he's just become a big part of our life since. For us, friends = family!

      Delete
  3. I know I have said it elsewhere, but just LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic of Gracie on the beach behind her name. So adorable....like the uncles. Seriously, you and G come from the best looking crops of genetics I have ever seen.

    Water, I get it. Completely. I am not sure of the direct quote but JFK said something along the lines of "We come from the water and we return to the water, it quenches our soul." Psychologically speaking, I swear it has something to do with spending 9 months in a watery womb. There is a reason that crashing ocean waves and trickling brooks soothes and calms almost anyone from infancy to elderly. I have the most eye opening epiphanies while strolling the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are too sweet to say that! Georgia and I are not nearly as trendy, cool and good looking as the guncles though, lol!

      You know, you would think that everyone is connected to water like you and I but they're not! On weekends when we don't have plans, I have to practically force G to shower, no joke! She never gets in large bodies of water and refuses to get her head wet while swimming. We're such opposites in that way.

      Delete
  4. Great pictures and how wonderful to have amazing uncles. :)

    I agree with the water sign. I love the water (Pisces) and so do Riley (Aquarius) and Quinn (Pisces) while Jackson doesn't really care that much for it (Aries.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! My wife, who could care less about water and swimming is an Aries too. Does Jackson always think he's right? Another common Aries trait that the wifey has for sure, haha!

      Delete
  5. AMAZING uncles for Grace! What a lucky girl :) We have been blessed with amazing male role models for our girls as well. Love all the beach photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncles are the best. I always told my brothers that I wanted them to have relationships with our kids like we did with out uncles gwoing up. So far, they are amazing! So glad that Gracie has some super awesome uncles to spend time with. And that video of her in the waves had me smiling for the whole two minutes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...