Thursday, July 23, 2015

Summer Bucket List: Lake Trip √


My first trip to the lake was when I was 2 months old. My parents were lake people, so my siblings and I grew up as “lake kids”, meaning we were always tanned and had way more fun when school was out than most of our friends, haha! In the summers for most of the 80’s and 90’s, we were at the lake at least one weekend a month and many of my most treasured childhood memories involve pretending to fly while sitting in the front of our speeding boat, learning how to water ski, roasting marshmallows and playing in the sand with my cousins. This played a huge factor in my knowing that G was, “the one” because she loved this kind of stuff too. Georgia was more of an outdoorsy camper type because she spent most of her childhood up north in a beautiful mountain town called Penasco. The great thing about being a lake person is that’s it’s basically the same thing as being a camping person, just minus the water. Our lives meshed pretty well. :)


Because my family was still in the market for a new boat the year Grace was born, we didn’t get to take her out for her first lake trip until she was 2 years old and she LOVED it. Her and I played in the water from sun up to sun down and both got a bit of a sunburn, which tends to happen when you spend all of your time in and out of the lake. This recent trip out was super exciting for us because we finally talked my brother and his family into joining us and that’s something that he hasn’t done in 15+ years! This meant that Grace had another group of kiddos to play with and because she’s basically obsessed with her cousins, she was pretty excited!


G somehow talked me into buying a giant inflatable raft complete with a built-in ice chest, waiting pool and seats. I haven’t let her buy an actual boat yet, so I figured I should choose my battles and agree to the purchase of this enormous thing… Turns out, it was the best idea ever! Everyone loved it and in the afternoon, in-between boat rides, we spent all of our time playing on it. Good call, babe!


Our rule for Grace is that when were at the lake, even if we’re not on the boat and she’s just playing in the water, life jackets are mandatory. I wasn’t sure how this was going to go over with our toddler now that she’s a “threenager” and takes issue with most rules that her mamas enforce (that’s a whole other post in itself). Thankfully there was a small pond in front of our camp that wasn’t more than a foot of water so we agreed to let her splash around in that, free of her life jacket. She, of course decided that if she didn’t have to wear a life jacket in the pond, she would just spend all of her time there running around and digging to her hearts delight. I will say that it was pretty easy to talk her into wearing her life jacket any time the group was hanging out on the raft. She loved it up there.


Our camp!


We spent the majoriety of our days grilling and eating the yummiest food. Seriously, is there anything better than lake breakfast? Eggs, potatoes, bacon and red and green chile just taste better when they’re cooked on the grill! YUM!


The kiddos splashed around in the water, tossed the football for hours and played in the sand every afternoon with zero need for electronics, which is one of my favorite things about the great outdoors. Childhood unplugged!


That is until a certain princess got to much heat and needed her mama nurses to tend to her. We’re talking wet washcloth on the forehead, fans blowing on her face, cold water to drink, iPad for entertainment… The works! It was all very dramatic and really cute at the same time, lol! 


Thankfully, our gal survived the heat and was more than ready to go back outside once Nani said it was time to take a boat ride. She quickly went from little miss mope to this…


Our tradition is to boat over to the Marina to feed the giant catfish and get ice cream, so we made sure to squeeze that in. The catfish were nowhere to be found but there was plenty of ice cream to go around and lots of fun stuff to climb on! The girls loved seeing all the house boats as we boated into the no wake zone. If I could live on a house boat, I totally would! Maybe when we retire in 35 years, babe? ;)


We are soooo hoping to squeeze another lake trip into our summer before it ends but with plans already set to go camping for Labor Day and our trip out to Denver this weekend, that may not happen. If not, I’m just glad we were able to get my brother and his family out to the lake this time and that we had such a great extended weekend together!


I have a little more free time on my hands right now so I’m hellbent on catching up on my blog posts! We’ve already scratched 11 of the 23 things off our Summer Bucket List, which means we’re half-way through and I’ve only posted about ONE bucket list adventure… total slacker, I know! Once we get back from Denver, I’ll catch up! Here are a few more pictures of our fun in the sun. Happy summer, friends!


This picture was taken right before I dropped my favorite sunglasses in the lake. They sank to the bottom immediately… That’s what I get for taking a lake selfie.


Movies on the lake!


She slept the entire drive home. A sure sign of a great trip! (and for the record, I did move that buckle higher up after taking the picture.) ;)


Our big girl! 


2015 Summer Bucket List – Lake Trip √ & Roast Marshmallows


1. Swim school
2. T-ball
3. Dance class
4. Make a fairy garden
5. Go camping
6. Feed ducks
7. Run through the sprinklers
8. Visit the library
9. Make popsicles
10. Go to Ranch Camp
11. Theatre Themed Summer School
12. Visit local water park
13. Lake trip
14. Go swimming
15. Movies on the lawn
16. Plant a Salsa Garden
17. Have a picnic
18. Visit the Nature Center
19. Make homemade playdough
20. Go to a Zoo Music Concert
21. Light fireworks
22. Roast marshmallows
23. Make root beer floats


9 comments:

  1. Looks like such a great trip. I love the outdoors and swimming at a lake. So good. I love that raft--it would be so much fun. Do you get to camp right on the beach? Is it an actual campground??? Wow, that big tv--that's some camping out. Like camping at a drive-in. LOL

    Great pics as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! We do camp right on the beach, which is awesome! I usually wake up and jump right in before breakfast. :)

      Delete
  2. That looks like the best vacation EVER! Ideal. I cannot even imagine being able to camp right on the lake. On the sand. Awesome. It is crazy how much Gracie has grown too. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I think that's why I've been making so many comparison pictures lately. We'll do something like celebrate a holiday and I'll think, weren't we just celebrating this... How has an entire year gone by!

      Delete
  3. I have the same questions that Stacey asked!! Can you camp right on the lake front?! Man, if so, I need to come to New Mexico. That is my dream. AWESOME pictures. The one of the little heat stroke princess made me laugh out loud! Great summer bucket list check off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure can! It does come with it's challenges through. There's basically no way you can ever sleep in because you're woken up by the sound of speed boats at first mornings light. Small price to pay for an amazing view first thing in the morning!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE camping. By lake, by mountainside, on beach. Welllllllll...I might not love the sandy beach so much.
    Great trip. Love the blow up. Gracie's hair is getting SOOO long.
    (I want my trailer back)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why in the world did you ever get rid of your trailer?!

      Delete
  5. That looks like so much fun! I love how close your family is and how they all joined in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...