Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Spilling the BABY Beans!

Yes, my friends, it’s true! We’re having a baby (pause to process the shock, ha)! OMgggeeee! Gracie’s going to be a big sister and my beautiful wife, aka – our sacred vessel, is approaching the half-way mark at nearly 18-weeks pregnant with baby #2! Our little peanut is due on Mommy’s birthday in April 2017 and is healthy and growing like crazy, as in 74th percentile! I’m not sure how we possibly kept this a secret for 16 weeks before making things FB official, but somehow we did!

The wife and I have been like a team of super secret ninjas working on this baby journal for 4 months now and we’re so excited to finally share all the baby deets with you!

We even know what we’re having, but you’ll have to read to the end of our baby journal for the story of that exciting day. Yay! :)

August 6th, 2016: 2 LINES!


Sweet baby Jesus! After 16 single lines, 16 negative tests, nearly 3 years of trying and 2 failed rounds of IVF; we finally got our double line! An actual POSITIVE pregnancy test and I'm in total disbelief. We're both in disbelief and there have been many tears since! Soooo many happy tears (and lots of belly kisses)! I don’t have time to journal all the deets right now because we’re off to Taos, NM for our 10 year anniversary – like literally walking out the door right now, but I will write again, SOON.

Is this real life?! Someone make me stop crying!



August 9th, 2016: “Holy Shit, Babe!”


Leading up to what will now be known as the most amazing, crazy, emotional, unbelievable day, both Georgia and I knew that test day was approaching, but when you’ve done this as many times as we have, you kind of just start living your normal life during those two week waits. That’s how it’s been for us, anyway. The stress of counting down each day, sometimes testing early even at the risk of disappointment, eating way too much pineapple and talking about it 24/7, all became too much, overtime. So when it came to that night before testing following G’s 6th try, I don’t think we even talked about it. We both knew we were testing the next morning, but I think we also didn’t want to jinx it. It’s like we knew this time was different and didn’t want to mess anything up, as silly as that may sound. We were looking forward to an out of town concert that we were heading to the morning of test day and that’s what we tried our best to focus on.


The morning of our BFP, my wife woke up early to test on her own while I slept, which is not what I thought was going to happen (sneaky little ninja wife)! From what I remember in my sleepy haze, Georgia stormed into the room while I snored and proceeded to scare the crap out of me, pushing up and down on my shoulders while shouting something that I couldn’t understand. I remember that I didn’t know what was going on because it was dark and I was still trying to focus my eyes, when I noticed that she was waving a pregnancy test in my face! She shouted, “it’s positive babe, IT’S POSITIVE!” (over and over) to which I replied, “Holy shit, baby! Holy SHIT!” I must have said shit like 10 times before proceeding to cry so hard I half-fell off the bed. The next thing I knew Gracie was running in wanting to know why her moms were acting like a bunch of crazies and that’s how it happened. I remember hugging my wife’s belly, crying hysterically as I tried not to completely fall out of bed. G told Grace she was going to be a big sister as she jumped up on the bed and I just cried. The only thing I could manage to say to her was, “you did it, babe! You did it!”  

And now I need a moment because I’m emotional again just writing this... Geeze! I’ll be back in a few to share the story of IUI #6. Standby.


{2 hours later}… A few months ago, our fertility clinic announced that they were dividing the practice due to a difference of philosophy, etc. The two doctors, one of which was mine in the past and the other who was Georgia's, were parting ways. This created some uncertainty for us because we had worked with the practice since TTC Gracie. They had several vials of our specimen in storage and the Dr. leaving the practice was Georgia's, so we weren't sure where we would end up. Thankfully, the separation was managed well and we were kept very much informed of where our vials were being transferred and where G's new fertility clinic would be. As we entered G's cycle and the days counted down to her 6th IUI, we began to get really excited for the first time in a long time. The thought of starting somewhere new, somewhere different, had us both feeling hopeful! The morning of G's positive OPK came on a weekend {July 23rd, 2016}, which meant that all of us were able to be there for the insemination! Even Gracie. :)


Because we were inseminating on a weekend, our clinic required that we come in first thing in the morning and because we had never visited the new facility, we left even earlier than planned. We brought Gracie’s Kindle Fire and headphones fully anticipating that we would be waiting around for hours. Little did we know that we would arrive, be totally blown away by how beautiful and state of the art the office was and that they would be ready for us so quickly! G’s lining looked great – almost 17mm, the best yet and for the first time in months, she had 2 huge follicles, one ready to go on each side. In all of our other visits, she always had one ovary that decided to sleep through the cycle and her lining was always on the thinner side, but not this time! The good signs were everywhere!

We were done in no time! We rushed out of there pretty quickly and headed out to have breakfast. I insisted that my wife eat as many beans as possible for breakfast because, based off the years of research that I’ve done, I truly believe that beans are the miracle fertility food! After breakfast we headed home so G could rest (and do other things), ha! Little did we know that just 3 weeks later we would be getting the call confirming that we were REALLY, officially pregnant! Still can’t believe it.  


August 15th, 2016: 5 Weeks + 2 days // It's really happening!


We just got the call and Georgia's numbers DOUBLED! Ekkkkkkk! Hallelujah! She went in for her first blood test this past Friday, late in the afternoon and again this morning. Normally, when you get a positive pregnancy test, you go in to start testing hCG levels the following day, but not for us. As our hectic schedules would have it, we were heading out of town to celebrate our anniversary the same day we got our BFP (best anniversary present EVER!), so an early blood test wasn't an option. Following our trip, Georgia left for Michigan at 5am the morning we returned, so we had to push her blood test back an entire WEEK! Talk about anticipation! Thankfully, Gracie kept Mama very busy while Mommy was away, which kept me from having time to be anxious. When G got back into town, I sent her directly to our new clinic and within about 2 hours, our pregnancy was confirmed! Today we got the amazing news that G's hCG moved from 650 to 1220! Bring on the happy tears! This is happening! It's really actually happening! :)


Mama missed the Bean’s first day of school while she was roadtrippin’ to get our RV, so we made sure to take lots of pictures!


We also made sure to go to movies and eat lots of shrimp, lol!


Our big girl! How is she already in her 3rd year of preschool?



How baby’s growing @ 5 weeks ~ At this time s/he’s about the size of a sesame seed and looks more like a tiny tadpole than a human. S/he’s now made up of three layers – the ectoderm, the mesoderm and the endoderm – which will later form all of the baby’s organs and tissues. This week his/her tiny heart begins to divide into chambers and beat and pump blood. Our little sesame seed!

Happy 10 year anniversary, baby! This may be our best anniversary yet, xo!



August 21st, 2016: First pregnancy craving @ 6 weeks :)


Wifey poo had her first pregnancy craving today and it just happened to come at 9:45pm… I honestly didn’t mind one bit. I would travel to another city if she asked me to. This is the stuff I’ve been looking forward to all these years of trying and at the risk of sounding super cheesy, I just feel so blessed that this is happening for us. Pizza party anyone?!


How baby’s growing @ 6 weeks ~ The nose, mouth and ears are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you’d find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby’s eyes and nostrils are starting to form. Emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head and arms and legs by protruding buds. Baby’s heart is beating about 100-160 times a minute and blood is beginning to course through his body. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil.
 

August 30th, 2016: We have a HEARTBEAT ¤

I'm writing this journal entry days following our first ultrasound and still, I'm in disbelief. I keep waiting for that to change. I keep waiting for it to set in that we're going to have another baby but still, total shock over here... Our days have been so hectic that our first ultrasound appointment totally crept up on us. We both felt very little nervousness until the day of but let me tell you - when the anxiety set it, it was pretty heavy. All I kept telling myself was, remain positive, it's finally our turn. I said this on repeat around 30 times throughout the morning, even as we were heading into our appointment.


Georgia was very quiet the day before and right up to when they called us back, even though I just kept telling her that I knew we were going to hear the heartbeat. I just knew we would! She thought that at 6 weeks, 5 days it was way too early for that, but thanks to my blog, I was able to prove her wrong! I could swear that we heard Gracie's heartbeat for the first time right around the same gestation, so I looked it up. Sure enough, there in black and white was my blog entry from July 27, 2011 titled: We have a heartbeat! Here's the crazy thing... the appointment that allowed us to hear the beautiful sound of Gracie's heartbeat for the first time, was at 6 weeks, 5 days. I quickly began counting the days as we were sitting in the lobby and told G, "Babe, guess what today is? 6 weeks, 5 days exactly!" Coincidence, I don’t think so! :)

They called us back to the new state-of-the-art fancy ultrasound room in our new fancy RE office and there we sat for what felt like forever. Finally Dr. C came in and got started. Before he came in we prayed together, nervously smiled at one another and sat there in total silence wondering what the next minutes would bring. This time around I didn't want to take pictures or video. It's like I was too afraid and I just wanted to hold Georgia with both my hands. Fast-forward a few seconds and out came the gel. Moments later, there was our little gummy bear! The most beautiful gummy bear there ever was!


What a difference a week makes - I couldn't believe it! When Grace made her first on screen appearance, she was a tiny yolk sac with an even tinier little ball of baby inside. This time our little peanut had actual nubs and everything! Nubs and a heartbeat! The first time we heard it, I broke down and cried and G had a smile from ear to ear. I wanted to shout, "I told you, babe" but instead, I just cried. Our RE was nice enough to pull peanut up on screen again after I composed myself so that I could get a video – look at our beautiful baby bean! I know it’s too early to predict what we’re having, but we are both certain it’s a boy!



We could not wait to bring our first video of Gracie’s little brother or sister home for her to watch! I’m not sure that she completely understood how the little circle on the screen was her tiny sibling, but she was still all smiles and it made our hearts burst. I love when she leaned in to get a closer look and I love that before the video ended she was like, Ok, what’s next… haha!




How baby’s growing @ 7 weeks (just 2 days away) ~ The big news this week: baby’s hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs – although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny baby fingers and toes you’re daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry.


September 5th, 2016: Weeks 8 & 9, done!


This pregnancy is flying by! It’s just flying! We had our second ultrasound this week and got to see our little peanut again. Baby’s heartbeat is now up to 153 beats per minute and everything is looking great! We got the ok to bring Gracie to our next appointment at 10 weeks and we’re just so excited for that!


Over this past week, Georgia has been extra barfy, which has only further convinced me that we’re having a boy! Seriously, this pregnancy could not be more different from the last one. G’s not only able to eat meat (unlike our last pregnancy) but she’s like – give me all the MEAT! She’s way more nauseous than she was with Grace and wifey poo is craaaaannnnky. Like, hot damn! Lately I just try my best to make sure she’s eaten, that Gracie is occupied, fed and not hanging on Mommy and that things like the dishes, dog poop and trash are handled. I know it must suck to feel like barfing 24/7, so I try and keep that in mind when it seems like she might kill me, ha! 


Over this past 1-2 weeks, G has slept even more than normal and we’ve jumped in on the napping action a few times. We’ve also gone fishing in our new RV, which was so much fun. We didn’t catch one single fish, but still, good times!


Following our fishing trip, we met a few of my favorite besties from college at the lake for a quick 2 days of fun on the water. This is where G's first bump picture was taken. I’ve agreed with the wife to limit my official bump pics to once a month and then forgot to take a 4-week belly pick, opps! 

My baby at 8 weeks and big sis. I’m one lucky Mama!



How baby’s growing @ 8-9 weeks ~ Your baby’s hands and feet are developing webbed fingers and toes! Eyelids almost cover his eyes and his “tail” is just about gone. In his brain, nerve cells are branching out to connect with each other and even though you can’t feel it – baby is constantly moving and shifting. At 9 weeks, baby is about the size of a grape and is starting to look more human! Other changes abound: your baby’s heart finishes dividing into four chambers and the valves start to form – as do her tiny teeth. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones and she’s now poised for rapid weight gain.

September 15th, 2016: *10 Weeks - Sister's BIG Day & GRADUATION DAY!*


How is it possible that we'll be 10 weeks in just 2 days? I can't even believe it! I just barely took Georgia's first bump picture (even though she doesn't really have a bump yet) at our lake trip last week. By this point in our pregnancy with Gracie, I had written a ton about our first trimester's happenings and here I am at 10 weeks with only 6 entries... Mama must get better at this! The biggest reason for my lack of memory keeping is that we have been traveling like crazy! Since the day we got our BFP, the following has gone down. We traveled to Taos, NM to see the amazing Alabama Shakes live, (baby's 1st concert, YAY)! My newly pregnant wife took a week-long road trip to Michigan the morning following our Taos trip to pick-up our amazing new RV! Our next adventure was a camping trip with Gracie's super awesome Guncles in the beautiful Pecos Mountains, which was then followed by a fishing trip to Isleta Lakes to test out the new camper! This brings us to Labor Day weekend when we joined friends at Abiquiu Lake! See what I'm saying - It's been crazy town!

I heart you, Stacy and I'm so glad we finally got to actually meet IRL! We had so much fun with you guys! xoxo!
I know I’ve said it like a billion times, but this pregnancy experience has been so very different from our first. When G was pregnant with Grace, all she wanted to do was sleep and she couldn't eat much of anything. From what I remember, she ended up eating mostly salads and Flamin' Cheetos, lol! With this pregnancy, sleeping all day really isn't an option and Georgia has a big appetite! She seems to crave protein and has had way more nausea than she did with Gracie. I even had to go out to Trader Joe's last week to get her ginger chews because the barfiness has gotten so bad. Poor babe!

While I do feel sorry for her, because I imagine feeling like you have to vomit everyday is the worst, it also makes me happy every time she experiences symptoms of any kind, hehe! Sorry babe. ;)



Now to the good stuff! Week 10 has been the most exciting for us so far, for many reasons! This visit was our last with our fertility clinic, which was so great but also a bittersweet feeling, for sure. This was also the visit that we finally got to take Gracie along with us! The Bean has been so patient as she’s had to see her mamas go to appointments without her and talk about our growing peanut, 24/7. We decided early on that we would wait until we got as close to 12 weeks as possible and when we were told in our 8-week appointment that the next would be our last at the clinic, we knew it was time.

It’s hard to describe all the feels we were feeling at this appointment. Having a healthy pregnancy, introducing our big girl to her little sister or brother AND graduating from our fertility clinic are all dreams that we have had for such a very long time. All those disappointing months that turned into years… the negative pregnancy tests followed by having to tell those close to us that it didn’t work, again… All those times that Grace asked for a sibling as we wished will all our hearts that we could give her one – they all lead to this appointment and there were just so many feelings. It was surreal. :)


I had no idea what to expect from Gracie. She’s a rambunctious kiddo, so I knew she would be into everything, which she was. We had a bit of a wait, so we took it as an opportunity to explain to the bean what we would be doing in our appointment and my gosh, she was sooo excited! We pulled up a chair and got her situated as close to Mommy’s belly as we could and we were ready! This part of the appointment flew by! Our RE’s wife (who is also a Dr. in the practice) came in to do our ultrasound with another nurse and we waited quite a while as she attempted to work the monitor. I didn’t feel nervous when it took her a while to get the audio going because I could see our little peanut’s heart beating on the screen and baby was wiggling all over, before we could even hear anything!



Gracie was into it for about 10 minutes and then she wanted to play with the stethoscope and all the other fun things. We quickly wrapped things up following the ultrasound and headed to the front reception area. There at the front were some of the nurses and receptionists who have been with us since April of 2013, when we started this journey to baby #2. Georgia and I were both juggling paying our bill, rounding up our gal and getting our ultrasound pictures, so it wasn’t until we got outside that I realized we didn’t really say goodbye to anyone. They were all smiles as they watched us leave but we missed the chance to say thank you and hug each of them. When I realized this I got so sad, again just overwhelmed by all the feels, so G promise we would visit again once she’s really showing! What an amazing and emotional day. Thank you, God. 


How baby’s growing @ 10 weeks ~ Though he’s barely the size of a kumquat – a little over an inch or so long and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce, your baby has now completed the most critical portion of his development. This is the beginning of the fetal period, a time when the tissues and organs in baby’s body rapidly grow and mature. Your baby is now swallowing fluid and kicking up a storm! If you could take a peek inside your womb, you’d see tiny details like tiny nails forming on fingers and toes and peach-fuzz hair beginning to grow!

September 20th, 2016: “Advanced Maternal Age”

So apparently, when you pass the age of 35 and decide to have a child, you’re considered an old lady by maternity standards. Georgia just turned 38, and because of this, her chart includes the label, “advance maternal age”. The topic has come up in our last 2 RE appointments and we’ve just been referred to a Perinatal Gynecologist for additional testing that is recommended when you get knocked up in your late 30’s. It’s also been suggested that we meet with a genetic counselor to discuss G’s family medical history and who knows what else. I’m wondering at what point we should mention to our docs that Georgia’s mom was pushing 40 when she had her and her brother and that everything was just fine with both of her pregnancies. Georgia brought it up the other day asking if I thought it’s something we need to be concerned with. My response was, ugh no! The way I look at it, these extra appointments are just extra opportunities to see our peanut, so why make it about more than that. Why add worry to what should be an exciting experience. Why assume that because you’re 3 years past that magical maternity age of 35, you’re doomed?! I’m calling BS on that idea!
Western medicine is pretty ridiculous sometimes. So much fear mongering, which I’m sure is a HUGE moneymaker for the medical industry.
Positive vibes only, please!

September 27th, 2016: Butch & Baby // 11 Weeks!

I wouldn’t define my wife as “butch”, necessarily. Is she somewhat butch? Yes. Is she more butch than the femmebot she’s married to? YES, most definitely. Still, if I had to label her, I would describe Georgia as a femme butch lesbian. The girl can grill better than any dude I know, hands down. She drives a big-ass truck, often hauling a big-ass trailer and she hasn’t worn a skirt one single time in the 10+ years that we’ve been together… The only jewelry she ever wears is her wedding ring, while I’m over here like *give me all the diamonds* and she only takes about 30 minutes to completely get ready because she’s super low maintenance. Lipstick – she’s can’t stand the stuff and she wouldn’t even know what to do if you handed her a contouring brush and bronzer, lol! Still, there’s some girliness in there and that’s what I love so much about her. She’s the perfect balance for me!


I LOVE the sweet perfumes my wife wears. I heart her style, which I would define as sporty-spice with a bit of edge. The woman’s hair is always on point thanks to her hairstylist to the stars brother, Dean (love you brother bear) and don’t even get me started on what happens when she wears a ball cap and jeans that show off her booty…

Wait, what is this post supposed to be about again?! I digress.

A few weekends back, my good friend Katy called to let me know that she had a big bag of maternity clothes that she had been saving for us and wanted to come by to drop it off. I was super excited because she said she was also bringing us something special to help with our fertility and I knew she would freak when I told her that we were already pregnant! Turns out I was right! Katy was so excited and so was I because who doesn’t love practically new maternity outfits? This is where the butch and baby comes in!

We decided to clean our room this past weekend, which meant it was time to go through the huge bag of clothes Katy brought for Georgia that had been sitting in the corner. I was so excited and for the first time ever, Georgia didn’t give me any lip when I asked her to try clothes on for me. She didn’t even fuss when I told her that she would need to put her bra on before trying things on, ha! That was until I started emptying the bag… This bag was full of the most floral, fluffy, ruffley, pastel wondrous items I’d ever seen and I laughed harder with each piece I took out to show G, LOL! What was even funnier was that she was willing to try them on just to humor me! I got to sit there and watch my wife try and navigate blouses with multiple spaghetti straps… side zippers… satin undershirts, attached to the over shirt, etc. It was the most entertainment I’ve had in awhile! There were a few times that she got so tangled up that I had to help her out of the clothing, which also made her laugh and we both just lost it, Haaaaaa!


In the end she decided to keep 2 striped, v-neck t-shirts and a black tank top… No shocker there! Special thanks to Katy for being so sweet and thinking of us. Don’t you worry Katy. I’m keeping those floral tops because they may actually get put to use by someone a bit more femme one of these days. ;)


How baby’s growing @ 11 weeks ~ Your baby – just over 1 ½ inches long and about the size of a fig is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden. She’s already busy kicking and stretching, and her/his tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won’t feel your baby for another month or two – nor will you notice the hiccupping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming.

September 29th, 2016: 12 weeks // Meeting with the Genetic Counselor


We had our meeting with the genetic counselor, M and Perinatal M.D. today and it went great! We completely hit it off with our Genetic Counselor, so much so that we were all cracking up and discussing Vegas vacations by the end of our counseling session. When we first walked into her office, I was a bit concerned because she looked super conservative, but as it turns out, I totally misread her and she couldn’t have been nicer. She walked us through a chart of G’s family history as well as the information regarding our donor’s family history, and assured us that based off family history alone, she wasn’t concerned with anything the baby could inherit from either side. She then went into the age factor, something we’ve been asked about many times, but went on to explain that while the chances of a baby having birth defects, down syndrome, etc. increases with age, the increase is minimal.


This is when we were told the most amazing news ever! M told us about a new blood test called Free Cell DNA that can determine baby’s gender as early as 7 weeks pregnant! This new testing method gives a closer look into the health of the baby and is a noninvasive alternative to amniocentesis in determining gender and sex-related problems. The test also determines baby’s Rh blood group typing and whether they have Hemophilia, muscular dystrophy or adrenal hyperplasia. The craziest part is that the accuracy for determining gender at 7+ weeks with this test is 95.4% with baby boys and 98.6% for baby girls! Say what?! She told us that not only would our insurance completely cover the $1,700.00 test, but we would get the results in 7-10 DAYS! Our minds were blown! We went in thinking we would talk genetics, give blood and find out at 20+ week what we’re having and here M’s telling us that we’ll know if we’re having a boy or girl in a week!!!!!!!! I can’t even!


Following our counseling session, we met with the Perinatal M.D. who went over statistics for down syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities with babies born from mamas 35 years+ (1 in 350 chance). He then went on to perform the traditional screening of measuring our little peanut’s back of the neck for extra fluid called the nuchal translucency measurement. An NT of less than 3.5 is considered “normal” for 12-weeks gestation and our little bean measured well below that. I wouldn’t say that we were necessarily worried that they would find abnormalities, but still, we were so relieved to hear that everything looked great!


Gracie was so excited to see all the pictures we brought home for her and we were all SUPER excited knowing we’ll know the gender in a week! I still can’t believe it!


We celebrated by going to see the new Storks movie! It seemed like the perfect way to kickoff the start of our second trimester!

How baby’s growing @ 12 weeks ~ The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby’s fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won’t be able to feel it.

Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly and synapses are forming furiously in your baby’s brain. His face looks unquestionably human as his eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.


Little peanut’s 12-week belly pic was taken at the International Balloon Fiesta! I still can’t believe that we’re already through our first trimester. :)



October 11th, 2016: Baby BOY is 13 Weeks! We have a SON!!!

Yes, you read that right, friends! We’re having a SON! A baby boy is joining our pack of girls and we feel like the luckiest moms on the planet! Ekkkkkkkkkkk!!! We got the news while on vacation in Las Vegas last week and were surrounded by friends when our Genetic Counselor called with the results from Georgia’s Free Cell DNA test. We put the call on speaker and heard the words *It’s a BOY* along with our best friends, which was an experience we’ll never forget! I cried, of course and G got a bit teary-eyed too. We knew in our hearts that we had a boy on the way, but hearing the actual words was something you just can’t prepare for and we’ll never forget! It was an amazing added bonus to hear that our little dude is 100% healthy!




My wife was such a trooper on the trip! She didn’t mind being the only one not drinking and handled the late nights like a rock star! I rewarded her awesomeness by making sure she ate amazing meals, got the most delish virgin Bloody Mary that she’s been craving! I got our room upgraded with the most comfortable bed ever and let her sleep in as long as she wanted each day. All in all, we had such a great time and loved finding out about our little dude surrounded by so much love and excitement! Here are a few more pictures of the trip.

The first picture taken of the Mamas following the big news about baby brother!


Full belly = happy Mommy & little man!


I honestly don’t think there is a single person in our family who thought we were having a girl. We all just knew! The craziest thing is that three years ago, when we started this journey, we were so hopeful that we would have a son that we decided on a boy name, picked a nursery theme and even bought wall art to go along with the theme before we were even expecting, ha! Since that time, over these past several years, I seem to have only purchased baby boy stuff. I didn’t realize this until I started cleaning our guestroom and finding little things here and there that have been purchased for our future kiddo and 100% of them are for a little dude! Adorable newsboy caps, books about dinosaurs, monsters and bugs, the cutest little jeans and every other adorable thing we came across and purchased have always been boy stuff. It’s like our heads and hearts just knew!

Since finding out that our sweet little babe is a boy, we’ve booked an announcement photo shoot that goes along with our family costume theme and I’m dying to see how cute these pics are going to be! Gracie who, to our surprise, asked to be Batgirl for Halloween this year inspired the theme! Once we decided that we would wait until 16+ weeks to announce, and realized that week happens to be the week of Halloween, we just had to take fun pictures that incorporated our favorite superheroes and our sweet little Batgirl. So excited!
We can’t wait to meet you, our sweet boy! Until then, Mama’s got some shopping and lots of nesting to do!  


How baby’s growing @ 13 weeks ~ Fingerprints are forming on your baby’s tiny fingertips. His veins and organs are clearly visible through his still-thin skin, and his body is starting to catch up with his head – which makes up just a third of his body size now. Your baby is almost 3 inches long (about the size of a pea pod) and weighs nearly an ounce.

October 18th, 2016: 14 weeks, 3 days & Our 1st OB Appointment!

First, I want to start this post by wishing a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the best Mom and Nani in the whole wide world! We love you so much and hope that you’ve had a super fantastic day! Thank you for your endless support and for loving and caring for us, like only you can! Second, how in the heck are we well on our way to 15 weeks! You guys – really, how?!
Baby boy’s first swim suit! Thanks Nani! We can’t wait to see him in this. :)

The crazy thing is that we still haven’t made the big announcement that our beautiful baby boy is on the way! Being the over-sharer that I am, it’s a miracle that I haven’t told everyone I know about brother bear and yet here we are, approaching 15 weeks having only shared the news with family and our closest friends.

There are a couple reasons we’ve waited this long, the biggest being that we wanted to graduate from our fertility clinic and have our first OB appointment before spilling the beans. Also, we’re scheduled to have a mini photo shoot this Friday with an awesome photographer to document our big announcement! More than anything though, we’ve just enjoyed keeping the news to ourselves. Between social media, being loud and chatty moms and having this blog, there is very little that we keep just between us, and we’ve loved having this time without our world knowing. With that being said, I’m DYING to tell people and Friday can’t come soon enough! As soon as we get our pictures back, it’s happening and we’re so excited!


Today’s appointment was a pretty quick one. We’re going with a new OB because we weren’t huge fans of our last one… You may remember reading my post years ago about our previous doc… you know, the one who told Georgia that she would need a c-section the very first appointment he had with us! Yeah, he’s been fired. With Dr. J, we’ve only had this one appointment, but so far, so good. She’s a bit quite but seemed to be in tuned with what we need. She asked lots of questions and was a good listener, without making us feel rushed. She surprised us when she introduced the idea of induced lactation for me, which made my heart happy!



From the start of the appointment, all I wanted to do was hear our little guy’s heartbeat because it had been 2 ½ weeks since we last heard it, which felt like forever! Thankfully, our doc was more than happy to grab the monitor and give us a listen. This little heartbeat is my absolute favorite sound! :)  


How baby’s growing @ 14 weeks ~ Your baby can now squint, frown, pee and possibly suck his thumb! Thanks to brain muscles, baby’s facial muscles are getting a workout as his tiny features form expressions. From head to bottom, he measures 3 ½ inches – about the size of a lemon and he weighs 1 ½ ounces. Your baby is starting to develop an ultrafine covering of hair called lanugo, all over his body. Though you can’t feel his tiny punches and kicks yet, your little one’s hands and feet are more flexible and active.

October 22nd, 2016 ~ G’s Pregnancy Questionnaire @ 15 weeks!

I’ve been harassing my dear wife for weeks to complete some type of pregnancy questionnaire, as I imagine our kiddos are going to want to hear what Mommy experienced during pregnancy and not just Mama’s views all the time, ha! Because of this, I’ve bugged my little preggers non-stop, this entire time to answer some questions about what she’s experiencing with baby #2, and guess what – She finally responded with some answers! Thanks babe!
Here’s what G has to say…

How far along? 15 weeks

How big is baby? Baby boy is in the 74% percentile (slow down kid!)

Total weight gain/loss: I'm down 9lbs total.

Maternity clothes? Not yet!

Sleep: Sleeping decently, I wake up with a full tank every day and nap as often as I can.

Best moment this week: Seeing baby boy on the screen at our 15-week appointment.

Movement: No feeling of movement yet but getting excited because it's close!

Food cravings: Potatoes, fries, hash browns… carbs.

Food Aversions: some veggies taste weird and my aversions change quickly. By the time I get to the food I was craving, it sounds gross.

Gender: Baby BOY! Yay!

Pregnancy Symptoms:  I've had headaches and I need to eat regularly or I get a sour stomach. If I let that go too long, I feel like barfing.

What I miss: Sushi and alcohol…

What I am looking forward to: April 16, 2017! William will be here + I won’t have anymore back pain + I can sleep good again + I can have sushi and alcohol! ;)

Upcoming appointments/events: Next appointments are at the end of the month and we’re taking superhero announcement pictures this week!

Milestones: Approaching the half way mark! Things are going very fast!


Mommy’s very own donut delivery girl!


G and Mavie sleeping. Always sleeping!


How baby’s growing @ 15 weeks ~ Your baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). He’s busy moving amniotic fluid through his nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps his lungs begin to develop. His legs are growing longer than her arms now, and he can move all of his joints and limbs.

Well there you have it! The most amazing 15 weeks in a nutshell! I have lots more to share about weeks 16-18 (Halloween) and our announcements photos, so that will be coming soon! Yay!


13 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!! Did you hint at this in a prior post? When you said about buying tops in different sizes I actually said to my wife, Gabby "Hey I think this blog couple I've been following for years is pregnant! How exciting is that?" Ever since when I've been catching up on blog lives she asked "have you found out if that family is pregnant yet?"


    So so unbelievably excited for you. Currently doing 8+ hours a day of work placement and then working after it and spent my one half hour break for the day reading this (and perhaps shedding a tear or two!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lara, you are just the sweetest! Thank you for taking your break to read all about our first trimester happenings! Reading that you did that completely made my day. :) I did drop a few hints in previous posts, one of which was in a post where I shared pictures from Earth Day at the Farmers Market where we purchased a matching toddler t-shirt and onesie! I thought that one would for sure blow our cover, lol!

      I have lots more to share so thanks again for keeping up with us! xo, Kristin

      Delete
  2. I've been reading your journey for a long time and am so happy for you three! I know it's been a long process but once he arrives, I hope it will be one that you can all look back on and say, "He was so worth the wait." Congratulations! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie! Thank you so much for your sweet message and for following us on this looooong journey! I think you're absolutely right about timing and how perfect it can actually be! I can't wait to hold our sweet little dude. My heart bursts just thinking about it. :)
      Hugs, Kristin

      Delete
  3. So overjoyed for the 3 of you. It's been a long road and it's amazing to read this incredible news. Crying happy tears for you, so glad your little bean is doing fantastic! Blessings and happy thoughts being sent your way.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leslie! It's crazy to think that we're already 18 weeks and that in two weeks we'll be half-way done with this pregnancy! I'm so happy that you've followed us all this time and I promise to get better about posting! I have so much more to share. :)
      xo, Kristin

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I need to catch up on this blog so bad! Congrats ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kerry! We're so stinkin' excited and can't believe we're already almost 19 week! How are you mamas?! We need an update on that little cutie of yours! :)

      Delete
    2. I will have to do an update soon. Obviously so far behind HAHA

      Delete
  5. Okay, been reading along as always but FINALLY finding the time to comment. I still can't believe you managed to keep it a secret soooooo long but to be honest I was kinda hoping the blog silence was a good sign that THIS post was in the works.

    Over the top excited for you all!!!! Thrilled to share in this journey with you <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Amanda! It was so hard to not tell the world, especially not posting here on the blog! I wanted to announce here first but I couldn't find the time to post the ever so long journal post, lol! Glad I finally got around to it because I feel like I'm finally back in the swing of posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHH!!! I am so sorry for the delay. I only just read this! CONGRATS!! I am so so so excited for you guys :) I'm going to read the more recent posts now but just had to tell you how happy I am for you three. Little boys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ashleigh! We are so beyond excited to have been blessed with this baby boy! :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for keeping up with our little family! We love reading your comments and will get back to you as soon as we can.

K+G+g+w ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...